Monday, December 15, 2008

It's the Big ONE!

It's hard to believe it's been a whole year, but indeed it has. This past Saturday, we celebrated Emma's First Birthday. We had a lovely party with family and friends and overall, Emma did very well considering we partied right through her nap time.

As a child, my mother made and decorated all of my birthday cakes, so I felt compelled to do the same for my baby girl. I found a great cake pan in the shape of a #1 and with a little help from Betty Crocker, we had a wonderful cake!
I also made some fancy cupcakes as well. The one with the candle on top was Emma's special cake to eat...more on that later.
Having a December baby born a mere 12 days before Christmas, I wanted to keep the colors as far away from Christmas as possible, so we went with a bright pink and orange. We had a lovely array of food and the centerpiece was a photo frame of pictures of Emma from birth throughout her first year.
After eating lunch, we sang happy birthday to our girl and gave her a cupcake to enjoy. She did not have the traditional reaction to this as most kids:
After cleaning her up a bit, she realized that she could eat this messy treat and it was pretty good! We then had a change in reaction:

So as you can see a fun time was had by all and here we are a family of 3 for one year:


To view all the pictures from Emma's big day click here:

3 comments:

Josie said...

Looks like loads of fun! I love Emma's polkadot dress!

Beck said...

I love the pictures and the color scheme - great work mama! And Emma looks absolutely precious. What a sweet girl you have!

McMahan family said...

I've commented once before that I also have an Emma Katherine. Your daughter is so sweet! I had to comment again when I saw this birthday post because my Emma ALSO has that exact same polka dot dress. My Emma Kate wore her dress to her dedication at church. AND I'm baking all of Emma's birthday treats (at the end of January for her first b-day) because my mom ALSO baked and decorated all of our cakes for our birthdays when I was a kid. Your cake looked awesome and the colors and everything were beautiful. I can't wait for my own Emma's b-day celebration! :)