Wednesday, December 5, 2007

38 week appointment

I went this morning for my 38 week check up and I am now 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced. So exciting to know my body is making progress and gearing up for Baby Emma's arrival. I knew something had to be going on as I had my first round of contractions last night.
It all started around 1:30pm. I was feeling a little crampy and a lot of pressure "downstairs". I didn't think much of it but then they started coming more regularly and making my whole belly get tight. This wasn't like anything I had felt before...these actually kinda hurt! Contractions hurt? UNHEARD OF! (yeah right). So as these little buggers continued, I decided to call the doctor around 3:30 ( after calling my mom first... a girl always wants her mom). Apparently this is all normal as my body is gearing up for the real thing. The nurse told me that it could be real labor, but it could be nothing. She told me to call back if/when the contractions got to 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, for at least 1 hour. Well I was no where close to that! Mine were coming every 8, 10 or even 20 minutes apart and lasting about 30 seconds to a minute each...no pattern and certainly not hospital worthy.
So being home alone, as Joe works in the evenings, I called my mom back and asked her to come sit with me just in case anything changed. She came down to the house and sat for a couple of hours. We ordered food in...spicy buffalo wings and pizza...hey they say spicy food can progress labor right? NO LUCK! Around 9:30pm all was done. I was able to get a good nights sleep and head off to the doctors this morning. So while the 8 hours of random contractions did not bring baby Emma to the world, they did aid in progression somewhat. My doctor said she is optimistic that I will deliver in my due date week.
Come on baby Emma, we are all ready to meet you! So here is a picture of me at 38 weeks...enjoy!

2 comments:

Emily said...

i am so excited and scared for you! and nervous! mostly excited and happy :) i've been thinking about you a lot and i really wish we lived closer, especially now. i cannot wait to see Emma!

Rebekah said...

Yay. So exciting. I love the name too. I know an Emma Kate. Well, her mom used to come to La Leche League meetings. Motherhood is wonderful, and busy. Some days you can't get enough, and somedays you think you've had quite enough. :-) You're close to Annapolis too, it would be fun to have little ones closer in age. Sara Ellen had a fun 2nd birthday last week and party on Sunday. She loves opening presents. We may have to start hiding Christmas gifts!